Principal Data Scientist - Operations Research (Arkansas or California)
Company: Walmart Global Tech
Posted on: April 10, 2021
The Walmart Global Tech Merchant Data Science team is looking
for versatile Principal Data Scientists to focus on building
complex, cutting edge, and scalable algorithms for our
merchandising organization. We are shaping the future of retail and
are ready to work closely with merchants to solve their
NOTE: Primary location for this role is Bentonville, AR, but the
team is also open to hiring in Sunnyvale, CA. Please inquire for
Principal Data Scientists are responsible for collaborating with a
business segment to determine long-term vision and provide
analytical support and guidance. Principal Data Scientists analyze
large data sets to develop multiple, complex custom models and
algorithms to drive innovative business solutions, work on large
project teams in order to provide analytical support and guidance
to a large project team (for example, email targeting, business
optimization, consumer recommendations) within Walmart
The algorithms built by the Principal Data Scientist will be
tested, validated, and applied to large data sets. Principal Data
Scientists are responsible for training algorithms so they can be
applied to future data sets and provide the appropriate search
results. Principal Data Scientists are responsible for researching
new trends in the industry and utilizing up-to-date technology (for
example, HBase, MapReduce, LAPack, Gurobi) and analytical
In this role, you will:
- Review business strategies to ensure alignment across
- Provide guidance to cross-functional leadership regarding data
- Lead project teams to develop innovative solutions to drive
innovative business solutions.
- Translate business needs into data modeling initiatives.
- Conduct advanced statistical analysis to determine trends and
significant data relationships.
- Interpret data to identify trends to go across future data
- Build learning systems to analyze and filter continuous data
flows and offline data analysis.
- Develop machine learning models to apply test data algorithms
to future data.
- Train algorithms to apply models to new data sets.
- Validate models and algorithmic techniques.
- Scale new algorithms to large data sets.
- Combine data features to determine search models.
- Lead the implementation of data modeling solutions.
- Research new techniques and best practices within the
- Develop models of current state in order to determine
- Utilize system tools including (MySQL, Hadoop, Weka, R,
- Drive the execution of multiple business plans and projects by
identifying customer and operational needs; developing and
communicating business plans and priorities; removing barriers and
obstacles that impact performance; providing resources; identifying
performance standards; measuring progress and adjusting performance
accordingly; developing contingency plans; and demonstrating
adaptability and supporting continuous learning.
- Provide supervision and development opportunities for
associates by selecting and training; mentoring; assigning duties;
building a team-based work environment; establishing performance
expectations and conducting regular performance evaluations;
providing recognition and rewards; coaching for success and
improvement; and ensuring diversity awareness.
- Promote and support company policies, procedures, mission,
values, and standards of ethics and integrity by training and
providing direction to others in their use and application;
ensuring compliance with them; and utilizing and supporting the
Open Door Policy.
- Ensures business needs are being met by evaluating the ongoing
effectiveness of current plans, programs, and initiatives;
consulting with business partners, managers, co-workers, or other
key stakeholders; soliciting, evaluating, and applying suggestions
for improving efficiency and cost-effectiveness; and participating
in and supporting community outreach events.
- Optimization (Linear programming, Mixed-Integer programming,
- Causality (Observational causal models, structural causal
models, bayesian causal models, experiment design )
- RL, DL
- Forecasting models
- Statistics, ML (Supervised, Unsupervised learning)
- Coding, SQL, Scripting language (Python or Java)
- Statistics, Computer Science, Distributed Systems
- Design and develop scalable solutions that leverage machine
learning and deep learning models to meet enterprise
- Work closely with data scientists and data engineers to develop
machine learning algorithms
- Translate machine learning algorithms into production-level
- Collaborate with development teams to test and deploy machine
- Create metrics to continuously evaluate the performance of
machine learning solutions
- Maintain and improve the performance of existing machine
- Ensure adherence to performance standards and compliance to
data security requirements
- Keep abreast with new tools, algorithms and techniques in
machine learning and work to implement them in the organization
- A proficiency in machine learning algorithms such as
multi-class classifications, decision trees, support vector
machines and deep learning
- Strong understanding of probability and statistical models
(generative and descriptive models)
- The ability to run experiments scientifically and analyze
- The ability to effectively communicate technical concepts and
results to technical and business audiences in a comprehensive
- The ability to collaborate effectively across multiple teams
and stakeholders, including analytics teams, development teams,
product management and operations learning causal graphs
- Solid expertise with Operations Research, Artificial
Intelligence (CSP, Search) Algorithms, System Design, Big Data
Analysis (Map Reduce)
- Experience in designing and building highly scalable
distributed ML models
About Global Tech
- Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can
make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile
on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a
team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service
professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer,
delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and
empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks
like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been
about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our
innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
- Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker
decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more
flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting.
Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by
making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team.
Of course, being together in person is an important part of our
culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a
regular cadence and with purpose.
Keywords: Walmart Global Tech, Springdale , Principal Data Scientist - Operations Research (Arkansas or California), Other , Bentonville, Arkansas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!