What you'll do...
Are you passionate about building next generation systems with
the latest technologies? Do you have experience with 2-D or 3-D
drawing frameworks for the web and mobile and love to build
visualization solutions to solve problems and make the end user
experience a joy? Have you taken crusty old legacy systems long
past their prime and envisioned their next incarnation? Then
designed and architected it and seen it all the way through the
It's an exciting time to join our Walmart journey. We are
seeking a Layout Systems Architect for a key position on Walmart's
Engineering, Assortment and Merchandising Tools Team. At Walmart we
don't just talk about scale, we are the definition of it. You will
help build the future generation of store and modular space
planning solutions that empowers business to optimally view,
layout, merchandise, and analyze all the space in our stores and
What you'll do
- Act as a technical liaison between customers (our buyers and
planners), product owners, multiple engineering teams, and big data
- Build deep relationships with senior technical individuals
across multiple organization pillars to understand their needs,
dependencies, and provide insights to best integrate use
- Be great fun to work with. In this role, you will love what you
do, and instinctively know how to make work fun. You will be
dynamic and creative, and willing to take on any challenge and make
a big impact.
- Take a customer-centric approach to building and delivering
- Possess extraordinary capabilities ranging from high-level
vision to low-level implementation.
- Work across engineering, product teams, and domains to
influence thinking and set the direction for our system's future.
In this role you will provide significant, direct and high-quality
contributions to the system architecture, designs, and
implementations that maintain and extend our ability to deliver for
the business as scope, complexity, and scale increase.
- Define, drive and champion architecture standards patterns and
- Advise product, business, engineering leads and quality
engineers on the alignment of solution implementations to conform
to evolving standards.
What you'll bring
- Strong OOD/OOP experience with one or more compiled languages
like Java, C/C++, or C#
- Strong scripting language experience with multiple interpreted
- Experience architecting end-to-end solutions on public clouds
- Knowledge of the difference between products and features and
abhor one-offs and
- Enjoy working with customers of all shapes and sizes.
- A passion for educating, training, designing, and building
cloud solutions for a diverse and challenging set of customers
ranging from small businesses to large public sector
- Demonstrated experience leading or developing high quality,
enterprise scale software products using a structured system
development life cycle.
- Experience in appropriate selection of data stores and analysis
- Experience with in-memory caching layers such as Redis, Redis
Cluster, Memcached, or others
- Experience with monitoring quality of deploys and
troubleshooting of production systems
- Experience understanding the end-to-end architecture of the
web, from end user device to a service in a datacenter
- Extensive expertise with event-based distributed systems
- Proven proficiency with Microservices, CI/CD, Container
- Worked with Hybrid Cloud Architecture and managed services
- Strong ability in designing and delivering Shared services and
You'll sweep us off our feet if you
- Have experience with Java runtime
- Have designed, build, and maintain APIs, services, and
- Have experience with Kafka or other high volume-low latency
- Have experience with Azure Cloud Stack or other cloud
- Have led or been part of modernizing tech stack or have
migrated from on-prem to public cloud
- Have the knowledge of open-source libraries, design patterns
and micro-service architecture. Familiarity with CI/CD and unit
- Have the knowledge of Kubernetes and other CNCF tools
- Have been Mentoring other team members
- Lead others with respect
- Are curious and have the desire to learn
Benefits & Perks
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for
your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock
purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple
health plans, and much more.
Who We Are
What started small, with a single discount store and the simple
idea of selling more for less, has grown over the last 50 years
into the largest retailer in the world. Each week, over 260 million
customers and members visit our 11,695 stores under 59 banners in
28 countries and e-commerce websites in 11 countries. With fiscal
year 2017 revenue of $485.9 billion, Walmart employs approximately
2.3 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader
in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment
opportunity. It's all part of our unwavering commitment to creating
opportunities and bringing value to customers and communities
around the world.
About Global Tech
Imagine working in an environment where one line of code can
make life easier for hundreds of millions of people and put a smile
on their face. That's what we do at Walmart Global Tech. We're a
team of 15,000+ software engineers, data scientists and service
professionals within Walmart, the world's largest retailer,
delivering innovations that improve how our customers shop and
empower our 2.2 million associates. To others, innovation looks
like an app, service or some code, but Walmart has always been
about people. People are why we innovate, and people power our
innovations. Being human-led is our true disruption.
Working virtually this year has helped us make quicker
decisions, remove location barriers across our global team, be more
flexible in our personal lives and spend less time commuting.
Today, we are reimagining the tech workplace of the future by
making a permanent transition to virtual work for most of our team.
Of course, being together in person is an important part of our
culture and shared success. We'll collaborate in person at a
regular cadence and with purpose.
Outlined below are the required minimum qualifications for this
position. If none are listed, there are no minimum
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and 5 years' experience in
software engineering or related field OR 7 years' experience in
engineering or related field
Outlined below are the optional preferred qualifications for
this position. If none are listed, there are no preferred
Master's degree in Computer Science or related field and 4
years' experience in software engineering or related field
8TH AND J STREETS, BENTONVILLE, AR 72712-0000, United States of
At Walmart, we help people save money so they can live better.
This mission serves as the foundation for every decision we make,
from responsible sourcing to sustainability-and everything in
between. As a Walmart associate, you will play an integral role in
shaping the future of retail, tech, merchandising, finance and
hundreds of other industries-all while affecting the lives of
millions of customers all over the world. Here, your work makes an
impact every day. What are you waiting for?
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer - By Choice. We
believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and
the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That
means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity - unique
styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions - while being
inclusive of all people.
Hello, NW Arkansas
With over 200 miles of trails, an emerging locally-sourced food
scene, the world-renowned Crystal Bridges Museum-NWA has something
Discover NW Arkansas
Crystal Bridges Museum
Celebrate the American spirit in a setting that unites the
beauty of art and the power of nature.
Walton Arts Center
Arkansas' premiere center for visual arts and entertainment.
An interactive children's museum that's fun for the whole
42 acres of premiere public garden space.
Devil's Den State Park
Located on 2,500 acres, Devil's Den State Park is the perfect
place to explore Arkansas' natural beauty.
The best of shopping and restaurants, right in the heart of
All the benefits you need for you and your family
- Multiple health plan options, including vision & dental plans
for you & dependents
- Financial benefits including 401(k), stock purchase plans, life
insurance and more
- Associate discounts in-store and online
- Education assistance for Associate and dependents
- Parental Leave
- Pay during military service
- Paid Time off - to include vacation, sick, parental
- Short-term and long-term disability for when you can't work
because of injury, illness, or childbirth
Eligibility requirements apply to some benefits and may depend
on your job classification and length of employment. Benefits are
subject to change and may be subject to specific plan or program
terms. For information about benefits and eligibility, see
Frequently asked questions
- On average, how long does it take to fill out an
On average, it takes 45-60 minutes to complete your application
for the first time. Subsequent applications will take less time to
apply as our system saves some of your application information.
Please note that some positions require the completion of
assessments in order to receive consideration for that role. Those
would take additional time.
- Can I change my application after submitting?
No, you cannot change your application after submitting, so
please make sure that everything is finalized before you hit the
- How do you protect my personal information?
Processing of information on paper is minimal, and Walmart
processes application information using an applicant tracking
system (ATS). Access to the data within the ATS is restricted to
authorized personnel, and the system itself is held to high
security standards by Walmart.
- What are the recommended Internet Browsers for applying for
- Internet Explorer 8.0+
- Firefox 4.0+
- Safari 4.0+
- Chrome 12+
See All FAQs
Recently viewed jobs